I seem to constantly rediscover the fact that I am significantly more productive (and happier) with music. I decided this morning to put together a Getting Things Done* Playlist (yes, I fully recognize the irony). These are the songs that get me energized, motivated, and productive. For me, they all manage to convey, either lyrically or musically or both, some sense of urgency.
- Get Right With God: Lucinda Williams
- Gimme Three Steps: Lynyrd Skynyrd
- Bad Moon Rising: Creedence Clearwater Revival
- Fifth Of July: Eddie From Ohio
- Love Struck Baby: Stevie Ray Vaughan
- Police On My Back: The Clash
- Another Travelin’ Song: Bright Eyes
- Shoot To Thrill: AC/DC
- American Idiot: Green Day
- Coahuila: Old 97’s
- Accelerate: R.E.M.
- Sweet Black Magic: Ryan Adams
- Ramblin’ Man: The Allman Brothers Band
- Runnin’ Down a Dream: Tom Petty
- Good Times Bad Times: Led Zeppelin
- Something to Talk About: Bonnie Raitt
- Start Me Up: The Rolling Stones
- Devil With the Blue Dress On/Good Golly Miss Molly: Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels
- You Ain’t Seen Nothing Yet: Bachman-Turner Overdrive
A few notes:
- In addition to being a great GTD song, Devil with the Blue Dress On is also the unofficial fight song of my beloved Duke Blue Devils.
- If you have never heard of Eddie from Ohio, check them out. They play some great alternate folk with awesome harmonies. I am only slightly biased by the fact that I went to high school with the lead singer.
- * Getting Things Done®/GTD refers to “the groundbreaking work-life management system by David Allen that provides concrete solutions for transforming overwhelm and uncertainty into an integrated system of stress free productivity.”
What’s on your GTD Playlist?