Google Books has unveiled some fun new features:
- Embeds and links: “This new toolbar option allows you to embed a preview of a full view or partner book in any of your websites or blogs–all with a simple html snippet.” Does not seem to work on wordpress.com blogs.
- Better search within each book: “Now, for public domain and partner books, we’ve made it easier to see exactly where your search term appears within the book by showing you more context around the term, including an image from the part of the page on which it appears.” Example.
- Thumbnail view: “Click on the thumbnail view button in the toolbar to see an overview of all the pages in a public domain book or in a magazine.”
- Contents drop-down menu: “Above the book itself, you’ll find a Contents drop-down that allows you to jump to chapters within the book–or articles within a magazine.”
- Plain Text Mode: “We’ve made it easier to find our plain text versions of public domain books.”
- Page Turn Button and Animation: “In addition to scrolling through the book, you can now also click the page turn button at the bottom of the screen, even if you haven’t yet finished the page.”
- Improved Book Overview Page: “On the Overview page you’ll find an assortment of useful data about the book…” Example.